9/1/07

busy mcday!

Maybe there's something about this setting goals thing. I decided that I would do 2 things today - vacuum/shampoo my bedroom rug and get to the post office. Which I did, and did a mass-mailing, and cook(ing) some beans, cornbread (burned unfortunately) and roasted vegetables. Caught up with the Mountain Man. Chatted with the nephew and with my aunt. Made it to the bank, dry cleaner, stationery store and baby clothes shop. Picked up odds and ends, cleaned the litter box. Tried on the new clothes, and found them to be slightly too loose (although I do love the long legged, low waisted jeans and half-calf lace-up brown boots).

This as you can see was my day to slack off.

An interesting conversation - a woman, middle-aged, approached me on the street and asked if she could talk to me. I thought it was going to be a Witness, or some kind of random criticism, or a request for bus fare. She smiles and says, "I hope you don't mind me asking, but did you have knee replacement?"

For those who don't know me, I have scars across my knees. Large, prominent, wide laddery scars that wrap around the tops of my knees. I've owned them nearly thirty years (ouch) and can't imagine my legs without them.

She must have noticed them. What a conversation starter they are! She did walk with a bit of a limp, and was concerned about getting knee replacement because she was afraid she wouldn't be able to walk. She was such a cool, energetic lady. I told her I was sure she'd be strong enough to make it work, and she said she knew she would be, cause she could work. She squeezed my hand and walked off to the bus.

Anyway, just a story. About my knees.

No comments: